Thursday, April 22, 2010

Eavesdropping

So, I'm making an impromptu post from my local Starbucks, where I spend way too much time. I'm sitting here trying to get a paper written for my 300-level psych class, but I find myself hopelessly distracted by some drama going down a table away. Before I get into that I should mention something that I don't think I've every talked about here - I am a hopeless eavesdropper. I get more pleasure than is normal from listening to the conversations of strangers.

Right now (okay, so they left while I was playing solitaire after I started writing this, but whatever) these two soccer moms who clearly just left the gym together are discussing one's psychotic sister-in-law/friend/ex-husband's new wife - I can't tell - and I am paying rapt attention. They're throwing around phrases like, "cut out of my life," and "toxic personalities." There's lots of gesticulating while holding non-fat soy lattes with Splenda, and indignant exclamations of, "Not with YOUR HUSBAND!" and "In front of the children?!"

At the table next to me some college-aged blonde girl wearing obviously new business casual interview attire is having an interview for a job at what sounds like a test-prep company with some guy in a polo shirt who looks too large for the wooden Starbucks chair he has to sit in. She is trying very hard and I hope it goes well for her. I've developed more sympathy for interview candidates than I used to have, what with Senior Year and The Future looming on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment